Tips For Choosing Your Wedding Wine
Choosing your wedding wine doesn't have to be a daunting task whether you are using a caterer for your wedding reception or even bringing in your own alcohol. Even if you are a complete wine novice, it can be lots of fun! For the couple more experienced with wine the main obstacle is usually finding something affordable enough.
Some Wedding Wine Tips & Ideas
- Wine Tasting -- Set up a wine tasting with several friends with your caterer or select your own wines.
- Bargain Hunting -- Search your area for local wine shops. Many shops will offer you excellent discounts if you purchase several cases. If you are lucky enough to be in a state where wine can be shipped, check online wine retailers for bargains.
- Personalized Wines -- Many wine companies offer their wines printed with custom personalized wine labels. This means that your names, date and sometimes even a photograph can be the actual wedding wine label! Depending on the budget you can give gifts of these to hotel guests, wedding party members and even given as wine wedding favors.
- Buying Enough -- There is no magical answer to the question of how much wedding wine to buy. Everyone calculates the amount differently, but a good rule is 1/2 red and 1/2 white, although people tend to agree that more red will be drunk. One bottle serves only about 5 glasses of wine and you should plan that people will have a minimum of 2 glasses. It is always better to have more than too little wedding wine. Some shops will allow returns of unopened cases if you arrange it with them ahead of time. Otherwise you'll have plenty of wine for months to come. Nothing wrong with that!
- Tasting For The Novice -- If you are a wine novice and feel intimidated by the process of selecting wines just keep one thing in mind. If you like it...you like it. If you don't, then don't buy it. It is common sense, but don't let anyone talk you into a wine unless you enjoy it!
Cheers and have fun enjoying your wine!
It's your wedding, do it the way you want!
If you are a wine lover and are considering having a wine wedding theme, check out our article
Wedding Reception Wine Tasting
for a unique reception idea.
You may also enjoy our
Wedding Wine Cork Plate Charger
project for your reception table decorations.
Go to the
Do It Yourself Receptions
Go to the
Do It Yourself Weddings