Special Considerations for Destination Weddings
There are a few things you need to keep in mind early on in your planning stages for
so here are 6 things you won't want to overlook!
- Inviting Guests - Save the dates are a must when it comes to destination weddings because you need to let guests know well in advance so they can make travel plans. You will also need to know early enough how many people are planning to attend so you can work with the resort, hotel, etc to reserve a block of rooms and plan for a reception room.
- Legal Stuff - No matter where your location is, you'll need to meet certain conditions to be married. You must be very clear on what you need to bring or have done in advance. For example, you may need an original copy of your birth certificate, passports and various marriage license forms. If you are working with a company that offers a package destination weddings they will help you be certain you have everything in order.
- Bridal & Groom Attire - Before you pick out that gigantic dress with mounds of tulle, remember that you will need to carry it on the airplane with you when you travel. Keep it simple! There are many gorgeous and classic wedding dresses that would be perfect for destination weddings that will fit nicely in your luggage. Be certain to hang it up as soon as you arrive to avoid wrinkles. If you plan to rent a tuxedo make certain you rent it long enough. Don't make the mistake of realizing that the tuxedo is due to be back at the rental shop while you are 1/2 way across the world on an island!
- Attendants - Along the same lines as the save the dates, you'll need to let you attendants know your plans well in advance. You also want to make certain that they know they can decline if they just can't afford to travel. Keep in mind it will be asking a lot of them to buy dresses, shoes AND travel costs. You can also consider not having attendants at all.
- Decorations & Favors - Most locations will be so beautiful you won't need to worry about decorations. Resorts will often provide candles and flower centerpieces for the tables. You can simply work with their wedding coordinator on making selections. You can still bring a box of favors if you like. Since people are traveling it is always nice to have the favor be something small and useful. Suntan lotion, something edible or a keepsake from the location (magnets, seashells, etc) are all good choices.
- Gifts - This may seem like an unusual thing for you to have to think about, but it isn't! Guests may actually bring a gift on an airplane and give it to you at your destination wedding location. While one gift in their suitcase fits just fine what will you do when you have 20 gifts to take home in yours? It is helpful to designate a family member or friend to help you take home gifts. Even better, by word of mouth, make certain that guests simply send gifts to your home address. Speaking of which, it may be better to have gifts sent to a work address since you will be out of town when gifts are likely to arrive.
With a little careful planning, destination weddings are easy. The wedding of your dreams is only an airplane ride away and you'll even save money in the process
It's your wedding, do it the way you want!
Save Money With Destination Weddings
Learn how you'll save money. Includes a list of Caribbean islands where you can get married and some reasons a destination wedding might be right for you!
Return to the
Do It Yourself Weddings